Kaplan College is a nationwide initiative consisting of various colleges around the USA that allow those hoping to get formal qualifications the chance to do so. They offer many programs, including a diploma to become a pharmacy technician. This college is recognized as being a leading educational provider both online and offline, and has many successful graduates who have gone on to successful careers.
Part of the Kaplan Higher Education group, the college pioneered its programs in 1938, and since then has had a lot to offer those students who wish to achieve a better education, and by extension, a better career. Across the US, the group has a million students enrolled at any one time, including both online and offline programs and is one of the leading providers of education not just for individuals, but also for businesses.
The schools headquarters are located in Chicago though they boast branches throughout the US, all of which are regulated to provide the same excellent education.
As a pharmacy technician, you will need to work with a registered pharmacist to prepare prescription medications for clients. This includes obtaining the authorizations for refills and processing insurance claims as necessary. In addition to this, you will be required to fulfill other daily tasks such as taking inventory and managing quality of the medications being issued.
A pharmacy technician has to have a balance of interpersonal skills and intuition because working with medicines can potentially help or harm. They need to be responsible and have a good eye for detail, since some medications may have similar names. They also need to be able to communicate well, since for the most part they may be charged with trying to explain to customers how to use their medicines.
Studying At Kaplan College
Kaplan College is a school that can help those hoping to become pharmacy technicians to develop the skills and knowledge they need to do so. Their program features experienced lecturers who cover every aspect of the job and teach not just the knowledge needed for the job, but communication skills too.
Some of the topics taught by the college include:
- Processing of prescriptions – this is relatively straightforward, but because it could be fatal for customers to receive the wrong medicines, it is vital that the pharmacy technician understands prescriptions and is fully aware of what they are doing at all times. Sometimes, this means that the technician will need to try and decipher almost illegible handwriting or recommend generic versions of certain medications.
- Computer skills – it is vital that a pharmacy technician knows how to use a computer, as many pharmacies run on computer systems that have been installed to help them manage their stock and their customer’s requirements. Schools such as Kaplan College ensure that candidates have these skills.
- Pharmacology and its effect on the body – it is vital that a pharmacy technician understands exactly how the human body may react to certain medications. This helps them help customers who know their symptoms but are not sure what to take. They need to know how certain medications will affect the nervous system and the endocrine system too.
- Pharmacy law and administration – a pharmacy tech with good business sense a good knowledge of the law is one who is prepared for any eventuality. As in business, it is important to know the legal implications of what you are doing, so that you can make the best choices.
The college is also committed to giving pharmacist technicians real world experience, so they organize Kaplan College Pharmacy Techician internship programs for their graduates and for pre-graduates. This gives them the chance to earn money while practicing the skills they learned in college, in a hospital or other pharmacy. The college also helps them prepare for their Pharmacy Technician Certification Board exam, which they must take to become registered as a technician.
Becoming a student at Kaplan College means you are opening up a world of potential. This becomes evident in the excellent programs they offer. Some of the benefits of studying to become a pharmacy technician at this college include:
- Excellent reputation – the college is very well known for having excellent lecturers and tutors who can assist students with all types of matters. They also have a high pass rate and have spent many years compiling an innovative program for pharmacy technicians.
- Excellent approach to service – the college takes full responsibility for the courses it offers. As such, students are guaranteed a Kaplan College Pharmacy Techician program they can trust at a university that is accredited with the correct regulatory bodies. Because all of the courses are strictly quality controlled, students know that the employer they apply to once they graduate will have confidence in their education.
- Ongoing assessments – at Kaplan College, students do not only get rated on a final exam. Instead, they are continuously assessed throughout the year to ensure they are on the right track.
- The chance to earn a degree online; something that many universities cannot offer.
For those who cannot afford a college education and thus do not take it up, it will be reassuring to know that the college offers financial aid for those students who need it. They also determine what types of aid are available, as well as how students can apply, and often, become the reason that those students who could otherwise never afford to study do.
Students wishing to get financial aid need to visit the financial aid offices, and may have to submit an essay to be considered. Some students may be eligible for grants, and can get more information about this at the college.
When asked the question, why study to become a pharmacist technician, many people will tell you that they do so because it is a job that promises to be both interesting and challenging. The potential to earn a salary and advance your studies at the same time is also a factor and those who are looking for a career that will pay well while keeping them fully engaged may have found it in this.
So why does Kaplan College excel when so many others offer the same course? Well, the obvious answer is that though the courses may seem the same, they are not. The pharmacy technician course offered by Kaplan College is one that is geared towards developing holistic lifelong learners who enjoy the challenge of working with pharmaceuticals. This means that they have to create programs that are especially challenging and that monitor the progress of the individuals registered with the college.
It may seem to some that Kaplan College has got it all, but how do you verify that information? One way may be to go online and to a college forum where students post about the Kaplan College Pharmacy Techician programs they do and the colleges they attend. What will quickly become apparent in this case is that Kaplan College has a very good reputation amongst its students and has garnered a lot of positive publicity in the course of its years of operation.
It is also wise to go and take a look at the campus and talk to a course adviser about your goals and how Kaplan College can match these goals to their offering. The school does offer campus tours and access to brochures that tell potential students more about it, and as such, can probably answer many of the questions that you may have. If you have the opportunity, try to sit in on a lecture so that you can get an idea of what the course will be like. This will help you form a more informed opinion of what the college can offer you.
For those looking for a great course at a great college, studying at Kaplan College is a choice that many students have made before and have seen come to fruition. The college has an age-old reputation of being able to offer students a college experience like no other. It offers a premium education for those students who wish to study to become pharmacy technicians and also those in other fields. And the best part is tat if you need to, you can study online so that you can work while you learn.
A respected reputation like the one that Kaplan College has is one that is hard to come by. Those students who apply to Kaplan College may find that they are fighting other students for a space, and as such, should apply as early as possible. The most important thing to note about the college is that they prepare students for the real world. If you are going to work as a pharmacy technician, handing out medications and helping people, it is vital that you have excellent skills and knowledge that help you do your job correctly. This is exactly what Kaplan College offers as so many students over its many years of operation have found. Whether you are fresh out of high school and hoping to work in a pharmacy, or you want to study so that you can change career paths, Kaplan College is the place to do it.